MPP Jeff Yurek Congratulates Recipients of Funding for Museums and Heritage Organizations in Elgin-Middlesex-LondonPublished on February 03, 2020
ELGIN-MIDDLESEX-LONDON — MPP Jeff Yurek is pleased to congratulate local recipients of the Community Museum Operating Grant and Heritage Organization Development Grant funding for the 2019-20 fiscal year through the Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries.
This funding helps museums across the province to protect and interpret Ontario’s cultural heritage and strengthen the capacity of organizations across the heritage sector.
Local organizations receiving the Heritage Organization Development Grant:
- North America Railway Hall of Fame, $1,545
- Elgin County Railway Museum, $1,545
Local organizations receiving the Community Museum Operating and Pay Equity Grant:
- Tyrconnell Heritage Society, $7,392
- Elgin County Museum, $14,438
“I am proud that our government is supporting local stewards of our heritage,” said MPP Jeff Yurek. “Museums like these often open the door to our community for visitors from near and far, and I am grateful for all that these organizations do to provide a warm and memorable welcome to Elgin-Middlesex-London.”
- Established in 1981, the Community Museum Operating Grant (CMOG) provides annual operating funding to eligible community museums across Ontario to cover a portion of their operating expenses.
- This support strengthens museums’ roles in their communities as custodians and interpreters of the province's irreplaceable heritage collections. Museums contribute to their communities' economic well-being as employers and tourist attractions, attracting over 3,000,000 visitors per year.
- Museums that receive this support are required to meet the criteria established in Regulation 877, "Grants for Museums" under the Ontario Heritage Act and this ministry's Standards for Community Museums in Ontario.
- Pay equity grants support museums that had a Pay Equity Plan implemented in 1998-99 to fill the wage gap for Female Job Classes. These grant amounts are pre-determined and distributed with the CMOG grants as directed by the Ministry of Finance.