MPP Jeff Yurek Joins Ontario Jobs and Recovery CommitteePublished on April 30, 2020
ELGIN-MIDDLESEX-LONDON—Jeff Yurek, MPP for Elgin-Middlesex-London and Minister of the Environment, Conservation and Parks, has been named to the new Ontario Jobs and Recovery Committee.
The Ontario government has launched a new Ontario Jobs and Recovery Committee which will focus on getting businesses up and running and people back to work after the COVID-19 pandemic is over. While the government's primary focus is on combatting the virus, supporting frontline health care workers and providing immediate relief to people and businesses, this new committee will be developing a plan to stimulate economic growth and job-creation in the weeks and months ahead.
“I am honoured to be part of this committee,” said MPP Yurek. “It is very important to me that the concerns of rural southwestern Ontario are voiced both during this difficult time and in future planning, and that the environment continues to be a key consideration in our government’s economic development vision.”
"My heart goes out to those individuals and families who have been out of work, or whose business has closed through no fault of their own," said Premier Ford. "I can assure each person affected by this crisis that we will do everything we can to support you, and get you back on the job as soon as possible. While our government battles this virus, members of our new Ontario Jobs and Recovery Committee will roll up their sleeves and develop a roadmap to a stronger, more prosperous economy."
Other members of the committee include:
- Rod Phillips, Chair, Minister of Finance
- Peter Bethlenfalvy, President of the Treasury Board
- Caroline Mulroney, Minister of Transportation
- Christine Elliott, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health
- Ernie Hardeman, Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
- Greg Rickford, Minister of Energy, Northern Development and Mines and Minister of Indigenous Affairs
- John Yakabuski, Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry
- Laurie Scott, Minister of Infrastructure
- Lisa MacLeod, Minister of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries
- Lisa Thompson, Minister of Government and Consumer Services
- Monte McNaughton, Minister of Labour, Training and Skills Development
- Prabmeet Sarkaria, Associate Minister of Small Business and Red Tape Reduction
- Steve Clark, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing
"While we focus our energy and resources on defeating COVID-19, today's job numbers highlight why we also need to plan for an economic recovery," said Rod Phillips, Minister of Finance. "At Premier Ford's request, I have convened the Ontario Jobs and Recovery Committee. And our first order of business is to prepare for the next phase of Ontario's Action Plan, which will be ready to launch as soon as COVID-19 is contained. This team will get our economy moving again ― with a focus on job creation, opportunities for growth, and protecting our province from future threats."
The Committee will be consulting with a wide variety of people to assess the impact of COVID-19 on the provincial economy and develop an action plan to move forward, including business associations, chambers of commerce, municipal leaders, corporate leaders, small business owners, and entrepreneurs.