Ontario Increases Funding to Renew and Modernize Fanshawe CollegePublished on November 25, 2020
ELGIN-MIDDLESEX-LONDON — The Ontario government is investing $4,446,900 in capital funding to help Fanshawe College address their deferred maintenance backlog, undertake critical repairs and upgrades, and provide a modern and safe learning environment for students, faculty and staff. The announcement was made today by Jeff Yurek, MPP for Elgin-Middlesex-London.
“Well-maintained facilities and the latest in learning tools and equipment are critical parts of a postsecondary education,” said MPP Yurek. “By investing in postsecondary infrastructure, our government is supporting economic recovery, creating jobs and ensuring students obtain the skills they need for the in-demand jobs of today and tomorrow.”
As part of the Facilities Renewal Program (FRP), the province is providing $3,282,200 in capital funding to help Fanshawe College address the ongoing need for maintenance, repair, renovation and modernization of its existing facilities. The 2020-21 FRP funding represents an increase of more than $2.1 million over and above last year.
As part of the College Equipment and Renewal Fund (CERF), the government is also providing $1,164,700 in capital funding to help Fanshawe College purchase and renew instructional equipment and learning resources. For 2020-21, CERF funding can also be used to purchase equipment to support student virtual learning during COVID-19.
“The first-class education students receive at our postsecondary institutions is critical to the future of Ontario, our economy, and the prosperity of our people, said Minister Romano. “That is why our government is committed to providing annual funding that will help our colleges and universities renew and modernize their facilities.”
- As announced in the 2020 Ontario Budget, Ontario's Action Plan: Protect, Support, Recover, the Ontario government is making an investment in critical maintenance, repairs, upgrades and renewals of $466 million in capital grants over three years starting in 2020-21 for Ontario's universities and colleges. This investment under the Facilities Renewal Program (FRP) includes:
- $144 million in 2020-21, an increase of $73 million over last year,
- $144 million in 2021-22, and
- $178 million in 2022-23.
- In addition to the $144 million investment in FRP funding for 2020-21, the Ontario government is investing $20 million through the College Equipment and Renewal Fund (CERF) to help Ontario colleges purchase and renew instructional equipment and learning resources.
- Established in 1986, the FRP provides annual funding to assist universities and colleges with renewing and modernizing their campuses through the repair, renovation and alteration of existing facilities.
- Established in 2002, the CERF provides annual funding to help publicly-assisted colleges acquire and renew instructional equipment and learning resources.