Supporting Elgin-Middlesex-London’s Local Festivals and EventsPublished on May 17, 2019
Ontario’s government for the people is working to create jobs and boost local tourism by investing in festivals and events in Elgin-Middlesex-London.
Jeff Yurek, MPP for Elgin-Middlesex-London announced today that the following festivals and events are receiving support through the Celebrate Ontario program:
- Day Out With Thomas - Steam Team Tour 2019, July 12-14
- Oxford Renaissance Fair (Thames Centre), June 14-16
Celebrate Ontario supports festivals and events of all sizes to reach new audiences, improve the programs for visitors, benefit local economies and create new jobs. According to past recipients, every dollar invested through Celebrate Ontario results in almost $21 of visitor spending.
“Ontario is open for business and open for jobs. By investing in festivals and events, our government is tapping into the economic potential of the tourism industry,” said Minister Tibollo.“ As we develop Ontario’s new tourism strategy, we will continue to invest in programs like Celebrate Ontario that help to maximize the growth and competitiveness of the great festivals and events that take place throughout the province.”
This year, to help reduce red tape and the administrative burden for organizers, Ontario has streamlined the application process to make it easier to apply for funding.
“Our government recognizes the important contributions that festivals and events make to our local economy. I am pleased that we are supporting these great local events as they continue to draw visitors from across the province and facilitate many happy memories being made in Elgin-Middlesex-London.”
--Jeff Yurek, MPP for Elgin-Middlesex-London
Celebrate Ontario supports festivals and events taking place throughout the year.
- Ontario is investing over $13 million in over 250 festivals and events in communities across the province, plus another $4 million in additional funding for Blockbuster events.
- The latest data from 2016 indicates that tourism supported nearly 390,000 jobs and generated over $34 billion of economic activity in Ontario.
- The tourism industry is one of the world’s fastest-growing industries.
- The tourism sector has experienced year-on-year increases in visitor spending of nearly six per cent.